Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thing #6: They'll Be Sorry!


Ok, guys. You are going to be very, very sorry that you encouraged me to learn about Flickr and mashups (such weird terminology) because I am having the best time you can imagine, and I have been sharing my fun all day with "Barry" and "LKP" and that other one! I had to print out the Wikipedia article and go through it with my highlighter at the ready, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made :)

My favorite experience today was making the trading cards. I made two: Anime Librarian and The Singing Red Men in honor of my father's 92nd birthday on December 19th. I thought they would come out small like real trading cards, but the ones I printed out were almost 8 1/2 x 11. Perhaps I have overlooked the obvious.

As for library applications, I, myself, would not make trading cards of librarians, but I would teach students to make trading cards for authors, scientists, sports figures, Texas heroes, insects, animals, and the like. It sounds like a fun learning experience and would provide the students with a "showy" final product. Perfect for trading, awarding, collecting, etc.

My second favorite activity was making a jigsaw puzzle of my attack cat, Attila. I usually get up and walk with a friend for an hour before school, but we were rained out this morning, and I slept later than usual. When I opened the door, Attila stalked in. She was very hungry, very vocal, and very ticked off! When I turned around, she bit the back of my leg! (Yes, there is a point) When I created the jigsaw puzzle, there were chunks missing, and the caption read,"That was tasty. Got another puzzle?" It looked as if Attila had made a meal of it. I gather that if one is willing to pay almost $20.00, one gets all the pieces.

I am even enjoying my mistakes! That is as introspective as I get....

2 comments:

Beth Robertson said...

Oh. You've sparked a fun idea. This year, we did gravestones for our scientist project. Maybe next year we can do trading cards.

Terry said...

You sound like you're having fun. Haven't reached that level yet in the game. But I can't wait to try the trading cards.