Thursday, February 14, 2008

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Don't I just wish my latest project had worked out better! A fabulous sister librarian in our district had the idea of selling coffee in the library before school during National Library Week. I think I will be out of town that week, so I thought maybe I could try out the idea on Valentine's Day!

I contacted the coffee shop which supplies coffee for teachers on our campus every Friday, and they said, "Sure! No problem! We'll give you a good deal." But then, but then....I never could keep in contact. I had to call and call and call. Finally, we agreed on a price for coffee and hot chocolate, complete with cups, spoons, sugar, cream, and whipped cream. I was plenty nervous so I didn't advertise in a big way.

This morning my retired librarian friend and I were parked in front of the coffee shop at 6:30. The coffee was ready; the cocoa was ready. There were no cups, cream, or whipped cream. We made an emergency run to the grocery store. Finally, we arrived at school, and we were early enough to get a parking place in front. Sure, I had to park in the spot reserved for "The speaker," but whoever he or she may be, he/she wasn't there at 6:45! I collared two students who had the misfortune of arriving early, and gave them the opportunity to help me lug two hefty containers and assorted items up to the library, while long-suffering friend parked my car in its proper space.

I was set up and ready for business at 7:00! My regular morning crowd came in, and a few of them bought cocoa. They seemed to enjoy the experience, and it was nice. The atmosphere was homey and relaxed, and the hint of cinnamon was a masterful touch!

Did I make any money? Not a dime. Did people enjoy it? Yes. What could I have done differently? More extensive advertising. Take pictures! Now that I know what to expect, I can have a better experience next time!

It was fun; I would do it again.

7 comments:

VWB said...

that you will do it again says it was a success!

(and this story is EXACTLY why you need to keep this blog going!)
Tell your long-suffering retired frind hello and give her a big pat on the back for me...no hugs please!

Terry said...

And you left elementary to serve coffee! No, I'm glad it was fun. As I said, you've always been willing to try something new. Long-suffering friend may be wondering what you've gotten her into this year! Carry on, I'll keep reading!

Erin Michelle said...

Janis, you are so funny. We are lucky to have you at SHS! The coffee and cocoa were a true hit! Thanks for all that you do! I will be headed to A&M grad school this coming year, so wish me luck when you see me in the library with my junior homeroom!

Rose and Sydnie Kleinhenz said...

Not sure if you are still checking your blog, but I wanted to let you know that I left a response to your many lovely comments on my blog--Unfold Gently.

Mimi's Moments said...

Janis--it took me a while to figure out who "Grendel" was, but I was happy to find out it was you. Thanks for the comments on my blog. Hope you are having a great summer. Claire (Mimi)

No Fear said...

Hi!!
Thanks for the comment!! Danielle Steele is very easy reading. Romance with a little mystery. She has written alot of books. Try one out.

juls said...

Janis, thank you so much for all your words of encouragement as I go through this process. I am not a librarian but I sure wish I was.
May be one day!!!
juls