Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thing #18: Online Productivity Tools

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

Open Office turned out to be easier for me to use than Google Docs; perhaps it is more like Word? I loved dabbling with the drawing tools and making presentations. I even made a table, but I must admit that spreadsheets are not my forte no matter which program I am using! Thing #25 to learn?

I hadn't known what open source meant so I had to look it up, and I still couldn't easily explain it to anyone. Source code?? I like that it is free, and I like that Open Office is multiplatform. It did take quite a while to download, but maybe that was an individual computer problem.

These, according to Google Docs' "Basic Information" are just some of the advantages of using an online productivity tool such as Google Docs:
  • Invite others (by e-mail address) to edit or view your documents and spreadsheets.
  • Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
  • View your documents' and spreadsheets' revision history and roll back to any version.
  • Publish documents online to the world, as Web pages or post documents to your blog.
  • Download documents to your desktop as Word, OpenOffice, RTF, PDF, HTML or zip.


P.S. Yesterday I downloaded Open Office, as I told you, and today a student came in with a WordPerfect document. Our library computers wouldn't read it, and she was really stressing. I thought I would try to open it with Open Office, and it worked!

1 comment:

LauraAnn said...

Grendel, thanks for your comments on my blog! In regard to your question, no I don't think students can access their server folders from home, so I think the Google documents would provide a nice solution... Have you looked at Google notebook? I think it would be a great aid in research. Kids could open the notebook, cut and paste from primary sources, tag their entries, etc. Very cool!

By the way, I like your No Whining button: it seems to apply in my case!