Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rats! In more ways than one....


I submit this quote in reference to my previous post on blinkx.com:

VWB said...
raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...drop by sometime, I'll sing you the entire score! The only thing missing from your list is the rats!
July 14, 2009 8:31 AM

Well, I cannot believe how beautifully this works in! One of my most favorite books is Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants by Robert Sullivan. It is a narrative of one year's worth of rat-watching in the alleys of New York City. Fascinating stuff.

Then, and this gets even better, I have just finished The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan (Hardcover - Jun 2, 2009) It is a wonderful new vampire horror story that begins with the landing of a 777 on a JFK runway. Suddenly, all contact is lost,and the plane goes dark. As you may know, vampires must have help in order to cross water, and someone has helped one of the most evil and long-lived vampires of the Old World to cross the Atlantic on this very airplane. The hunt is on, and our hero, Dr. Eph Goodweather of the CDC's rapid response team, investigates the furiously multiplying vampire virus that is taking over New York.

And then--and then--at the very end of the book, the author credits Robert Sullivan's Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants with information attributed to a book character, an exterminator, as the good guys creep about underground searching for hidden vampires. By using a special light, they can track vampires in much the same way exterminators can track rats! I knew it all seemed familiar!

I had such a great idea, but I am at school and now cannot access amazon.com, although it was available earlier this morning. Not now. Anyway, there you can view a video trailer (The Strain was originally written as a movie pilot) as well as an interview with Guillermo del Toro, one of the authors. I was going to link you up, but alas! You are on your own for this one, although some would say my audience would be small anyway!

No comments: