Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing # 10: Second Life

I had read other blog entries for the dreaded #10 so that I would have some idea what to expect, and I was lulled into thinking it wasn't going to be such a scarifying challenge as I had anticipated. I was already intimidated since I am not good at video games, and I watch my son play these involved and complicated games that look just like second life to me. His avatar seems to do a lot of running, which I am not fond of, but his avatar also heals, makes things, sells things, gardens, etc. My son finds it all relaxing, fun, and entertaining, as do his friends who are also online and playing this same game.

I did have some initial difficulties--such as registering my avatar. The first time, the registration failed. The second time, the registration failed. The third time, the registration failed, and I received a message that I had too many avatars for one account. I couldn't figure that one out--how could I have too many if each attempt had failed?!

Anyway, I contacted "help." I filled out the questionnaire I was emailed, and I received a ticket number. I can check on this ticket number if I log in, but not being able to log in is why I needed help in the first place! I was able to log in as a guest, but when I tried to access the ticket number (as a guest) I was told I wasn't authorized to see that ticket with its helpful information.

I have not given up; I am just temporarily stalled. I have looked at everything I can view and read and explored what I was able to, but I have not yet been able to enter a world. Hopefully, my registration difficulties will be resolved before August 10th!

No comments: