Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing # 3: SKYPE HYPE


Last night, after a long, hard day, I downloaded Skype and prepared myself to learn something difficult and ego-threatening, but guess what? It was easy! Still unsure of myself, I invited two friends to join Skype--Old Faithful and Terry, and I learned that they were already Skype-ing. Of course, I invited myself to join Skype, too, and am still wondering how I did that!

Anyway,

Old Faithful was offline--very unlike her, but before I could gather my wits, a message from Terry popped up! She had not even been trying to Skype; she was househunting online when my message appeared on her screen.

We had a delightful catch-up conversation. My part was to ask questions about Skype--just to give her a chance to practice, of course--and her part was to think up reasons a teacher would use it. She had the easy part, right?

Terry says that a lot of people talk to friends and relatives in other countries. She, herself, maintains contact with family using other providers, but she has to set up an appointment first!Students can speak with peers in other areas of the world in real time, classes can contact an expert to interview...you get the idea!

In Terry's honor, I have posted a Flickr image from Creative Commons: Boston Public Gardens--Swan Boat by David Paul Ohmer.

4 comments:

VWB said...

gosh, you all had a serious conversation about real stuff!

I want to get involved..it jsut seems I can't find the right time!

Babs for Books said...

I grew up near Boston Commons (an hour away - Providence). We went on swan boat rides as a child, before it became a "cool" thing to do. Thank you for all your posts on my site. Yes, I do remember Art Linkladder.

Grendel said...

It looks like a wonderful experience! I would like to visit historic Boston. I have never been to Massachusetts--yet!

Terry said...

We did ride the swan boats! You can pick my brain anytime - thoughI might suggest a second opinion!