Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thing # 12: Rollyo

Well, that went pretty well so I must have done something wrong! My Rollyo Searchroll is called My Bookpeople, and I used one of the starter kits and someone else's hard work! My Bookpeople is meant to feature authors, books, and book reviews. When I tried it out for the first time, I thought, "Oops! This isn't giving me the information I am seeking!" I was searching My Bookpeople for titles of books, and only Amazon was coming up with the correct title. I tried putting quotes around the title in the search box, but it made no difference! I was getting results for individual words but not for titles. Then, I entered an author's name (last name first) and hooray! I found the information about the book I was interested in!

From school, I was unable to add the RollBar Bookmarklet to Internet Explorer. I could get it to the top of the page but not onto the browser toolbar. I tried another computer at home but was still unsuccessful with Internet Explorer, although I was able to add it on Firefox.

http://rollyo.com/benefiej/my_bookpeople/ This is the link to my Searchroll. Have I linked this properly? It isn't pretty, but it works!

We had our first Faculty Book Club meeting this afternoon, and it was surprisingly well-attended. After delicious refreshments tastefully (!) served, Valerie Koehler, owner of Blue Willow Book Shop, presented several popular book club titles for us to choose from: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan; Water for Elephants; Peony in Love; The Glass Castle; Suite Francaise; Founding Mothers; Kabul Beauty School; Garden Spells; The Year of Living Biblically; People of the Book; and The Whistling Season, which was our first choice! Have you read any of these? I have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and it is a fascinating read, especially the part about footbinding. Can you imagine having feet 3" long? See link below, but reader beware!!
http://www.shoeblog.com/blog/friday-shoe-history-corner-footbinding-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/

My Bookpeople Searchroll has already been helpful. By searching for the authors (last name, first name) I could read book reviews and comments on the books Valerie presented today.

3 comments:

LibraryChica said...

Thanks for responding so quickly. We are currently viewing videos and working on a design for a T-shirt. Two of our members are working on a Bingo game that we can play and the kids seem excited about that. There is an annual convention at South Padre Island and they would love to attend but I am not sure the school will allow us to go as a "club" so we plan on bumping into each other over there.

LibraryChica said...

I must admit that I prefer Persuasion to Northanger Abbey. I swoon at the feet of Captain Wentworth. Poor Cathy, having to travel all night with such company! My favorite book though is Pride and Prejudice.

lostinspace said...

Thanks for the help. It is good to be able to ask questions