Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thing #14: Technorati

A keyword search for "school library learning 2.0" resulted in 1,593 hits. School librarians in another state are doing just what we're doing--investigating web 2.0 to see how we can prepare ourselves to assist patrons who are more technologically proficient than we are!It's a really big thing, isn't it? I viewed both videos, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the views of the Technorati staff.Of course, I had to use a non-Spring Branch computer to see the second video! Our kickball captains have really done a remarkable job of making these "things" both interesting and motivating. Kudos to you, Cap'ns!

One comment that stays with me is that we are able to "talk" to "regular" people, the unwashed masses as they were called in the 2nd video.The Technorati employee said she no longer reads reviews by so-called professional reviewers. She prefers the opinions of us "regular" folk. Well, we have choices, don't we, with the internet? We have access to experts as well as to everyday bloggers who set forth their opinions, and we can choose whom we wish to believe. We really are living in an age of marvels (says she, sitting in her rocker and listening to the drip, drip, drip as the rain leaks into her bookcase, of all places)

Out of 19 blogs about 'school library learning 2.0' I discovered that we are all on the same journey! I got mixed up searching tags. Anyway, there was one blog with the tag 'school library learning 2.0' that I got tickled by. The writer had the same instructions for Thing #14 as we did, and he/she answered, "Yes, the results were different."

Tagging is fundamental. With all of the blogs and posts out there, how else are we to locate and organize information?

Technorati Profile

I am claiming my blog. Any claim jumpers out there?

2 comments:

Maria Cigala said...

I am glad that I found somebody that is ahead of me. I had used Technorati before, but I hadn't read what to do with it. I am printing your blog to have a better idea what to do.
I use the most of the tools to learn about the things I am interested, but I don't use it at the school, or talk about it because I didn't know anybody knew about it. I am glad to see that more people in the district are getting there

Grendel said...

Yes, slowly but surely, we are getting there. This has been a fun challenge, and I feel really good about learning these new tools. Congratulations on haveing had a blog and for joining us on this journey!