Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thing #7B: Lost in the Desert

My father once told me that the hardest thing he had ever done was to leave me in Gabbs, Nevada, my first attempt at independent living as a completely single, relative-free adult. Using Google Earth, I placemarked this isolated desert community so that you could appreciate my father's apprehension. Google Earth allowed me to fly directly to Gabbs as if perched on an eagle's wing for a bird's eye view. Imagine my surprise when I recognized the site of my first teaching position! Do you see the orange speck in the top photo? That is Gabbs School, where I taught grades 7 - 12. There were 6 classrooms in the secondary school! I lived in a teacherage which consisted of 4 units to a building. They were furnished and rented for $45 per month! I understand that, now, teacher housing consists of double-wide mobile homes.



2 comments:

VWB said...

Granted, a small place but a lovely place..Yes! Remember I like desert landscapes...and what an adventure...I was never (am not)brave enough to go off on an adventure like you!

Terry said...

I can beat that! Goose Lake School #30 in the Sandhills of Nebraska. Double wide trailer for school room and my living quarters! Mailing address was Lakeside but it was miles away from the school. Closest town was 30 minutes south on mostly sand roads. Oh I could tell stories...